Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Parenting 101

I took a child development class in college where a very wise professor told us that before people have children they make a "mental" list of all the things they'll never do as parents. Then once they have kids they mentally check off each item on the list as they do them. For example: My kids will never eat macaroni and cheese with hotdogs for dinner, speed ahead 5 years and as I'm grilling hotdogs I mentally check off that item. Or, I won't allow my children to be that loud at a restaurant -- 5 years later I'm bribing my kids with horrendous things like ice cream to not scream or say "poop" so loud that the next table wants their food to go. The "list" could go on.


Look at that expression. Her eyes could tell a lifetime of stories and she's only 3. I've been reading blogs and trying to research best practice strategies for handling children with a "strong personality". Everyone tells me that it's such a blessing she's so adamant in her way, that she will stand her ground and  not sway to peer pressure. I just can't seem to wrap my brain around that. Harper is extremely verbal, probably past her age in speech which makes discipline hard. I'm not sure she cognitively understands what she says or how she acts. It's a fine line I'm trying desperately to learn. I'm truly hoping that I'm doing all I can to teach her she can always express her true feelings to me, while guarding her tongue with others. 


1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love hearing "Harperisms"... and I mean, come on, if she can call someone out for not being friendly, who doesn't love that!!! I can't wait for the stories you will have to tell when she starts school... watch out, Trinity!!!

    ReplyDelete