Thursday, March 29, 2012

Life Book

Recently I read a book titled Saving CeeCee Honeycutt. Hands down it was the best book I've read in a VERY long time. Such amazing characters and a perfect mix of laughter, sadness, joy and excitement! The book, set in the 1960's, revolves around a young girl named CeeCee whose childhood has suffered great tradegdy in the form of a mentally ill mother. When her mother passes away, young CeeCee is left in the care of her great aunt Tootie. Tootie is from Savannah and introduced CeeCee into a life of southern hospitality and most importantly deeply rooted love. I enjoyed every last word. One of my favorite characters was Mrs. O'Dell. Mrs. O'Dell was CeeCee's elderly neighbor and in every way mothered CeeCee the best she could while CeeCee dealt with her mother alone. When Tootie comes to take CeeCee down South it is time for CeeCee to say goodbye to Mrs. O'Dell. This part of the book truly broke my heart.

When CeeCee asks Mrs. O'Dell why she can't just live with her, Mrs. O'Dell tells CeeCee that "that's not the way it's written in your Life Book" She goes on to explain...
"Life is full of change, honey. That's how we learn and grow. When we're born, the Good Lord gives each of us a Life Book. Chapter by chapter, we live and learn." ...

What an expiring story!

Well my Life Book is getting ready to turn the page to a new chapter. The last five years I've spent my professional life working as a 4th grade teacher at a wonderful school district at the Lake of the Ozarks. More importantly I've spent the last five years developing friendships that have unbelievably changed my life. I cannot even begin to express in words what these ladies have done to mold, inspire, comfort, support, and shape my life.

After much thought and prayer I have decided my time at Osage is finished. Jon and I are moving back to Jefferson City. Mrs. O'Dell said it best when she said...
"When a chapter of your Life Book is complete, your spirit know it's time to turn the page so a new chapter can begin. Even when you're scared or think you're not ready, your spirit knows you are."

To my 4th grade ladies - you've brought such joy into my life over the last few years (and I know you will continue to do so!) I leave you with a sad heart, but a hope for what chapter is next. I will absolutely miss your faces every single day.

Thank You for all the memories we've made and will make in the future.


PS - If you know someone who wants to buy my house - let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Ah- this post made me cry a little bit! Love you and I can't WAIT to see what the next chapter has in store for the Binkleys!

    ReplyDelete