Thursday, May 5, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

These last few weeks have been unbearably difficult in my world. Not only did I add more responsibility to myself, but I added it at a time when I was not physically able meet my expectations. Being a mommy is not an easy job - Oprah often says it's the most difficult job on the planet. I would agree with her. My mom does it with unbelievable grace. This post is for her.

Being the baby of the family is often a fun place to be. The automatic attention that comes with this place in the role of siblings can come in handy (you babies of the family know exactly what I'm talking about). I think my mom and I can connect on a special level because we are both babies. It hasn't always been an easy road, I don't think any mother/daughter relationship is easy. Too many hormones to go around :) In honor of Mother's Day I've decided to make a list of the things that are special about my Mom. (You know how much I love lists).

10. She makes the best food (most of the time, ha). There is something about the way your mom makes a dish that you always think it's the best. For example, no one can touch my mom's pork roast and sauerkraut or her texas sheet cake.

9. She can make me feel better instantly. She knows by the look on my face or in my eye exactly what I need to hear. Not even Jon has learned to master this trick. I have no idea how she does it - must be lots of practice.

8. She loves my girls like no one else on the planet. Enough said.

7. She appreciates the small things in life. She doesn't need material things to make her happy or have a good time. Some of my fondest childhood memories involve silly things like long car rides or watching her attempt Jane Fonda's "grapevine" on a workout video.

6. My mother is the queen of rearranging furniture. She does it all the time. When I was a kid you would leave the house with your room looking one way and when you got home - it looked completely different. Now that I think about it, my mom must be the original inspiration for all those shows on HGTV. When I think I can't get a room to look right - just ask mom, she can arrange anything to make it cute and functional!

5. My mom handles change like a champ. I think life has thrown some pretty nasty things at my mother, and every SINGLE time she comes out with a grace I can only hope to imitate someday. That woman is seriously a rock in all circumstances.

4. She is a quiet stubborn person. She will eventually get her way - and you won't even know until it's happened. Criss Angel has nothing on my mother. You might be thinking - how is that a good thing. Ever heard of the quote "Mother knows best"? Well 99% of the time, whether I see it or not, my mother knows best. And if she wasn't so stubborn who knows where I'd be.

3. She is firmly rooted in her faith. She exhibits the kind of love and fervor for her God like no one I know. What a great example I've had in life, even when I didn't always appreciate it.

2. She believes in me, through and through. She believes in my brother and sister too. She would never pitt us against each other or show favoritism to one over the other. She loves us each individually and equally for what we each bring into her life. No matter what we throw at her - she loves us unconditionally. She loves our spouses unconditionally, and our children are the light of her life. There is no other gift in the world that could match that.

1. My mother is my hero. She's not perfect, she's human. She lives her life the best she knows how. She makes mistakes, she recovers from them. She loves her family and her God. There is not a doubt in my mind I would NOT have been able to survive this last month without my mother.

From the bottom of my heart Mom, Thank You for being the beautiful person I know you to be. I only hope to be half the mom you are to me. I love you! Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! Oh - Nelda, the grapevine thing had me laughing out loud! But everything you said, I was like 'YES, so true!' I love your mom, too!

    ReplyDelete